Plastic pods have been used in Construction foundation widely in Australia and New Zealand.
CUPOLEX® domes interlock together to form a void in the slab. CUPOLEX® foundations are designed by engineers on a site by site basis, and are strengthened with beams and thickenings in the appropriate places.
Structural Benefits and Advantages of the CUPOLEX® Dome System
1. The system has inherent properties which reduce slab curling and shrinkage cracks. This in turn provides a better quality concrete surface for your foundation.
2. From a compressive point of view, it exceeds all Australian Standard Requirements.
3. The under-slab void allows a number of options for running cables and pipes, making the installation of underslab utilities after construction fast and cost effective.
4. The system also allows design of complete structurally suspended foundations, the beams of which span between piles or piers.
5. In areas where subsidence has occurred, for example as a result of the Christchurch earthquake, the air void beneath the concrete slab is perfect as a cavity to accept expanding urethane used to lift foundations.
6. The system can also be designed to create under-slab water reservoirs, either for water detention and storm water management, or as rain water storage, eg for irrigation, washing cars and flushing toilets.
7. The CUPOLEX® system is approved for installation at USAF bases as a Radon Gas Mitigation System.